Sounds like such a tongue twister huh? The actual item is: chocolate covered strawberries on chocolate cupcakes with raspberry jam frosting.
So I originally saw the recipe on Live Well Bake Often here and I just couldn’t skip it. I made my own tweaks to it like doing raspberry instead of strawberry frosting, and left out a couple of things. Here’s my rendition –
- Betty Crocker Chocolate Cake Mix (sorry! Made this from the box because I was lazy ;D)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup of water
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk (I used soy milk because lactose intolerance! boo!)
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- ~24 strawberries (made 2 dozen cupcakes)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line two cupcake pans (12-cup trays, preferably)
- Crack 3 eggs into a mixing bowl
- Add in your water and oil
- Add in the Betty Crocker Chocolate Cake batter
- Mix thoroughly using a whisk. I waited til it was slightly liquidy before pouring (pictures below)
- Pour cupcake mix into the tray. I tried my best to fill it 3/4 of the way since they rise!
- Bake at 350°F for 15-17 minutes. To check if they’re cooked, I like to use a toothpick (or chopstick) to stick into the middle – if you pull the toothpick back out and it’s clean, then you’re good to go!
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool. They’ll melt your frosting if not cooled down enough!
- Melt your butter – I put each stick in the microwave at 10 seconds (using a small bowl) when getting them out of the fridge, then flipped it, then another 10 seconds.
- Add in your 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- Add in 1/2 cup of raspberry jam
- Mix it using an electric hand mixer until it has that frosty texture.
- Optional: move it into a gallon ziplock bag or your desired piper for piping (otherwise you can probably use a butter knife to spread the frosting on.)
- Whether it’s a large plate or baking sheet, line it with wax or parchment paper. Foil works too!
- Using a microwave safe bowl, put in a cup of chocolate chips. Put in 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Microwave this for 15 seconds. Take it out and mix with a spoon. Put it back in for 15 seconds.
- Take it out and mix. Then put in your second tablespoon of oil. Put it back in for 15 seconds.
- Repeat with the last tablespoon of oil.
- Hopefully by now, your chocolate is melted, or repeat until it is.
- Dip each strawberry in, halfway or all the way, whatever you prefer! Then place it on the baking sheet.
- Transfer to the fridge or freezer (for faster cooling) until the chocolate has hardened.
- Pipe frosting onto your chocolate cupcakes. If you’re using a ziplock bag, I cut the corner off maybe about 2 mm and got the look in these pictures.
- Top your cupcakes with your strawberries!
Here are some pictures from our baking adventure –